The simple meaning of cloud computing is the process of storing and accessing data and programs on remote servers accessed over a direct internet connection on a pay-per-usage basis, instead of storing them in our computer hard drive.
Three types of cloud computing
Private cloud–Service that is controlled and exclusive to the user. Infrastructure is use to operate a single organization
Public cloud– Share resources among community of users. Service providers use the internet to make resources, such as applications and storage, available to the general public, or on a public cloud
Hybrid cloud- Is a combination of both private and public cloud. It enables to move workload between private and public platforms.
Three models of cloud computing
Software as a service (SaaS)- Is a software distribution model in which a third-party provider hosts applications and makes them available to customers over the Internet.
Platform as a service (PaaS)- Is a cloud computing model that delivers applications over the Internet. Users only need to log in and start using the platform given by the PaaS provider.
Infrastructure as a service (IaaS)- Is a cloud computing model which provides virtualized computing resources over the Internet. A third-party provider hosts hardware, software, storage, servers and other infrastructure components and make them available to its users.
Advantages of cloud computing
• Reduce cost by minimizing hardware requirements
• Increase collaboration through easy accessibility and visibility
• Automatic software updates and maintenance
• Flexible adoptability to the bandwidth demand
• In cloud computing, data is stored in the cloud. So we can access data without our machines and in if someone has stolen our laptop we can remotely wipe data from it and prevent unauthorized access to our data
• Cloud-based backup and recovery solutions
Disadvantages of cloud computing
• Service provider allows minimal control to the end users
• Switching from one vendor to other may arises compatibility issues
• Service provider may not be able to provide similar service throughout the whole period due to increasing customer amount and it may causes downtimes